Thursday 20 September 2012

I'm Back!

Wow!  Moving really sucks.  For the first time in about 20 years I actually had a moving company help me, and didn't have to do any of the heavy lifting, but it was still an exhausting ordeal.  One I never want to repeat, but will be forced to do so at least once more.  Seeing as I live in an apartment, this is not what I would call a permanent residence, and I plan to buy land for building a house in a year or so.  Once I move there, I'll be rooted for life, and that will be a glorious day that I will celebrate with vast quantities of alcohol (I'm not generally a drinker - maybe once a year, or once every two years - but I'm part Irish & part Scottish so I handle it well when I do).

The moving company owner was a complete idiot, but I suppose if he were smarter he would be doing something that didn't involve heavy lifting at his age.  He didn't understand anything I said, and repeated the same misinformation over and over.  Sadly, English was his native language.  Go figure.  I despair of the education system in this country.  Canada's isn't the worst in the world, but it's certainly not the best either.  At least we don't revere stupidity as being cool.

As per my usual modus operandi I still have boxes in my living room to be unpacked, and they'll probably be there for another week or two, or maybe it's more like a month or two.  Domesticity is not my forte, to say the least.  I can cook, but everything else can go to hell.

Of course, after not using the TV for over a year while it was being stored, it crapped out on us after about two weeks.  My daughter's laptop gave up the ghost a few days before that.  Now she's sharing my laptop, which is a pain in the ass, at best, for both of us.  We're both very friendly with our respective computers, and having to live without technology of that sort is simply not an option.  She doesn't even have her PS3 as backup now, seeing as the TV is dead.  We got rid of all our tube TVs years ago, so we have no backup there.  Granted, it gives us an excuse to get a better TV than what we had, since it was a plasma with only 720p/1080i, and only had one HDMI input, no USB, etc.  The issue, of course, is lack of funds for the moment, since we just moved and that completely wiped us out yet again.  It's a good thing TVs are fairly inexpensive now, but any computer worth buying won't be quite so cheap.

Did I mention that I hate moving?  If things don't break from being dropped, they decide they don't like the new place & die an ignominious death.  Oh well.  At least I'm back online, and can start making money again.  Time to shore up the financial reserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments respectful, without strong profanity, or they will not be published. Thank you.