Tuesday 5 February 2013

Good News, Good Things, Good Life

My daughter finally got a job in Hamilton, today. She's now working for a small grocery store chain, and starts orientation on Thursday. Woot! So, one more thing off the list of things we need to deal with. She had a job in Burlington, but then we moved, and she's been looking for another one since then. She will finally be able to buy herself a new laptop, and therefore stop lurking around me, making faces at me because I dare to use mine.

I, on the other hand, managed to get off my ass and make a curtain for the dining room today...in the midst of a splitting headache that was in fact my inspiration for the sudden energy spike. You see, the sun was shining...brightly...burning a hole in my skull. I just used some unbleached cotton we've had sitting around, so it isn't fancy, but it's hemmed properly at least, and it cuts the south-exposure sun that damn near opened my head today. I've only been here since the beginning of September, you know. These things take time. I was planning to finish unpacking first, but, alas, that isn't finished either. God, I suck at all that crap.

Admittedly, part of the reason I haven't bothered much with unpacking is that I know this place is a stopgap. A year's lease just doesn't seem worth unpacking for. My stuff was in boxes for a year before that, too, so we've gotten used to the damn boxes. I've got no choice but to unpack the stupid things now, though. The cardboard I'm sure has absorbed the distinctive former perfume of my ferret, Pepper. He's been neutered now, but it takes a couple of weeks for him to stop producing the hormones that made him such a stinky boy. Once he's done emitting the musky oil, I'm throwing out the cardboard and washing all the fabrics. Then I'm scrubbing the place down.

I plan to paint the apartment, too, which I've already informed the landlord about. I'm not changing the colour, though. I actually like the medium-light grey. It's one of the few things I like about this apartment. The floor's gotta go, but hopefully I'll be gone from here soon enough that I won't feel obliged to change it the second I have the money to do it. Nothing like plastic floor squares that are supposed to look like some sort of wood substance. Some of which are peeling, too.

Now that I'm off the stupid painkillers, I've also started working on my back-taxes. Revenue Canada is not going to be happy, because they owe me a lot of money, and they pay interest on it. I consider it my savings account. They pay better than the damn bank for interest, so why the hell not? They get cranky about me not filing, but there are no penalties if you don't owe money. I have so many business deductions it's insane, and they're all legitimate with receipts for every single thing. I used to make pretty good money, actually. Not just with my business, but also when I worked for others. My last consulting job that wasn't for a friend or relative I was getting $50 an hour, which isn't bad for a girl without a high school diploma.

Don't get me wrong. I believe in education. I mean I REALLY believe in education. Just not necessarily what gets taught in schools. I learned the hard way, on-the-job, and through life itself. I learned my lessons well, and I remembered what I needed to remember. I learned through self-education. Every time I had a question about something, I researched it, and I still do that constantly. Just a few minutes ago I was looking up the science behind changes in hair colour, and watching a video to re-learn crystal growing. It's something I did as a kid, and would love to mess around with it. I think I'll grow a geode. Considering my desperate need for shelves, if I can find some cinder blocks I'll grow crystals inside them and then back-light them.

I don't procrastinate when it comes to business, whether it's a client or an employer, but in my personal life I'm a lazy put-off-everything git. Hence the dozen boxes sitting in my living room right now. I also intend to do a sort of photo shoot for this blog, since I have no decent pictures of myself. I have one where I look like I'm a serial killer getting a mug shot taken, and another one where I look like a freakin' school teacher. Then there's the shot of my tattoo, which helps take away from the uptight image, which is totally not me by the way - in case you hadn't already figured that out, but I have nothing that shows me the way I really am. If I'm going to share my life like this, y'all might as well have a clue who's doing the sharing.

I have actually set up the page. I just haven't got anything on it that's worth publishing the page for yet. One day there will be shots of me in my tool belt (in addition to regular clothing - thank you to all the perverts who got their hopes up, though - makes me feel better), full-length shots in regular attire, and me in my Raptors jersey (I have one with my name on the back, with lucky number 13 on it) and b-ball shorts. You know...the regular, everyday me that looks retarded as a schoolteacher. Sadly, I look cooler in the serial killer mug shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments respectful, without strong profanity, or they will not be published. Thank you.